WELCOME REMARKS BY MR CHAN TSAN, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER OF HTX (HOME TEAM SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY AGENCY) AT THE OFFICIAL LAUNCH OF HTX ON MONDAY, 2 DECEMBER 2019, AT 1630H, AT THE THEATRE AT MEDIACORP
Distinguished Guests and Home Team Colleagues
- Good afternoon and welcome to the launch of HTX—the Home Team Science and Technology Agency.
- HTX is proud to have become the newest member of the Home Team. We may be young, at just 1 day old, but our sense of mission is strong. Most of HTX’s 1,300 officers are scientists and engineers drawn from the various Home Team Departments. I myself am an engineer by training and a career Home Team officer. So HTX shares the same DNA as all the other Home Team Departments. And we are fully committed to the Home Team mission of keeping Singapore safe and secure.
- HTX will be the Home Team’s Force Multiplier through Science and Technology. Our ambition is to realise a smarter, swifter, and stronger Home Team—a Home Team powered by HTX solutions.
- So how will HTX fulfil this ambition?
- First, we will harness the potential of technological advances and translate them into operational capabilities. We will turn head winds into tail winds by building systems and solutions that will enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the Home Team.
- Secondly, we will invest in our human capital and groom the next generation of S&T talent. This is about realising the full potential of our scientists and engineers, making sure that their technical expertise and skills remain cutting-edge in this rapidly-evolving environment.
- Third, we will work with our partners. Many of our solutions are, and will be, developed in collaboration with our partners from the industry, IHLs, and foreign Governments. Our Public Service partners—DSTA, DSO and GovTech, deserve special mention. By embedding your officers right here in HTX, your support ensures that we optimise limited S&T resources in the Public Service. HTX truly embodies the One Public Service, Team Singapore approach.
- Fourth, HTX pledges to work alongside our fellow Home Team Departments as One Home Team. As you will see throughout today’s programme, HTX’s technologies are only meaningful when they are deployed in your operations—solving crimes, saving lives, securing our borders, and protecting our public spaces. HTX will succeed only when you succeed.
- The establishment of HTX today is a significant milestone for MHA. It is not an overnight phenomenon but a multi-year effort. And we have done so by standing on the shoulders of giants. I would like to take a few moments to acknowledge them.
- Firstly, our political leaders. PM Lee, as well as Ministers both past and present, provided the strategic direction for the creation of HTX. They pushed us to boldly look towards the future, not to rest on our laurels and strive for an ever-safer Singapore. HTX is a direct result of their vision and leadership.
- Second, our civil service leaders. MHA Permanent Secretaries and Senior Management both past and present are the shepherds of this journey. The emphasis on transformation, investing in capability development, and building organic S&T capacity—these were the foundations they have laid that have guided us to the final destination of HTX. We intend to do them proud.
- Last but not least, I would like to acknowledge my fellow HTX-men and women. You are an exceptional group of officers—resilient and mission-focused. Your relentless pursuit of excellence over the years is manifest in the capabilities we have in the Home Team. These capabilities are critical to the Home Team’s success today and will be even more so in future. Let us continue to push boundaries together to create meaningful change that will exponentially impact Singapore’s safety and security.
- In closing, I would like to thank everyone for joining us to celebrate HTX’s launch today. I hope you will enjoy the programme and wish you a very pleasant afternoon. Thank you.