Appointment of the Chairman and Members to the Home Team Science and Technology (HTX) Board of Directors
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) will appoint 13 leaders in industry, academia and the Home Team to the Home Team Science and Technology Agency (HTX) Board of Directors. Their three-year term will commence on 1 Dec 2019.
- HTX, a statutory board under MHA, will be established on 1 December 2019. Its mandate is to develop science and technology (S&T) capabilities to enhance the Home Team’s ability to address emerging threats and evolving challenges on the security landscape. Through this, HTX will be a force multiplier for the Home Team.
- The HTX Board will guide the development of HTX’s S&T strategies and plans, and ensure alignment with the strategic priorities of the Home Team. The HTX Board will also oversee corporate governance of HTX.
- Mr Chew Hock Yong, Permanent Secretary (Development), Ministry of Home Affairs and Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Social & Family Development, will serve as Chairman of the HTX Board.
- Mr Chew said, “HTX has the important mission of providing science and technology support to the Home Team, so that the Home Team agencies are able to effectively keep Singapore safe and secure. We succeed only if the Home Team succeeds. HTX is to the Home Team what Q is to 007 in the James Bond movies. I look forward to working with fellow board members and HTX officers.”
- Mr Chan Tsan, Deputy Secretary (Development) of the Ministry of Home Affairs will be concurrently appointed as HTX’s Chief Executive on 1 Dec 2019. He will also be appointed to the HTX Board.
- Prominent industry leader Ms Janet Ang, Chairman of the Institute of Systems Science of NUS and formerly IBM Vice President, will also be appointed to the HTX Board. She said, “I am honoured to have the opportunity to tap on my deep experience in the IT industry to guide HTX in growing its S&T capabilities and developing innovative technologies and solutions that will contribute to a safe and secure Singapore.”
- Another member, Prof Chong Tow Chong, President, Singapore University of Technology and Design, said, “I am honoured to be part of the HTX Board and look forward to contributing towards HTX’s efforts in collaborating with industry and academia and translating cutting-edge research into impactful solutions for Singapore’s safety and security. Through these efforts, we hope to boost Singapore’s innovation ecosystem and develop S&T talents with relevant expertise to achieve transformative capabilities for the Home Team.”
HTX Board Members
The full membership of the HTX Board is as follows:
- Mr Chew Hock Yong, Chairman, HTX Board; Permanent Secretary (Development), Ministry of Home Affairs; Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Social & Family Development
- Mr Chan Tsan, Chief Executive, HTX; Deputy Secretary (Development), Ministry of Home Affairs
- Mr Hoong Wee Teck, Commissioner, Singapore Police Force
- Mr Yap Wee Teck Eric, Commissioner, Singapore Civil Defence Force
- Mr Sim Wai Meng Marvin, Commissioner, Immigration & Checkpoints Authority
- Mr Chin Kim Tham Desmond, Commissioner, Singapore Prison Service
- Mr Ng Ser Song, Director, Central Narcotics Bureau
- Mr Ong Pang Thye, Managing Partner, KPMG
- Ms Janet Ang Guat Har, Chairman, Institute of Systems Science of NUS; Former IBM Vice President
- Prof Chong Tow Chong, President, Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Ms Carmen Wee Yik Cheng, Former Group Chief Human Resource Officer, Surbana Jurong
- Mr Richard Koh Chin Kiong, Chief Technology Officer, Microsoft Singapore
- Mr Chang Yew Kong, Independent Director, ZWEEC; Chairman, Management Committee, WizVision
MINISTRY OF HOME AFFAIRS
20 NOVEMBER 2019